Posted to sci.electronics.repair
baron baron is offline

Default AA-sized conductor (fake battery) wanted

D Yuniskis Inscribed thus:

On 1/15/2011 10:46 AM, Baron wrote:
My comment was intended more as "tongue-in-cheek" (I have a
friend that I *never* ask for things like this as he *would*
turn something on a lathe for me and I often end up embarassed
at the "excessive quality" of his solution! : )

Us mechanical engineer types take great pride in our hobbies ! :-)

Well, *he's* the mechanical type: lathe, end mill, surface grinder,
shadow graph, coil winder, etc.

Of course, another friend has a sinker EDM and a couple of wire EDM
machines... a bit too expensive to qualify as "toys" :-/

Ooo ! I feel the green eyed monster coming on. :-)

Some batteries (against which the "dummy" may mate) require
the little "nub" on the + end to ensure contact. Likewise,
some battery holders "guard" the + terminal with a bit of
raised plastic to protect against a battery installed backwards.
(i.e., a "flat surface" -- like the - terminal -- won't connect)

Ah ! In that case you would need to turn it to produce the pip on one
end.

Yes, that was why I suggested the lathe instead of just cutting drill
rod, etc.

I wasn't aware of that limitation. Though my son just pointed out the
battery holder in the Wii was shaped so you couldn't put the battery in
backwards.

Though, with copper, I think you could *almost* use a file as "cutting
tool" and a large electric (hand) drill to spin the work. Wouldn't
have much control over the dimension of the pip but I suspect you
could fashion a functional one in a few minutes. Heck, even putting a
slight taper on the one end would work!

Very true ! A trick I've used to clean up the end of damaged bolts.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.