Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff R.[_3_] Jeff R.[_3_] is offline

Default Magnabend

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 08:18:41 -0700, Lewis Hartswick
wrote:

WOW!! That is the "cats meow". :-) Wonder how thick of material
it'll handle.

How long is a piece of string?
It depends on the width of the piece.
I've bent 1.6-2mm steel in fairly narrow strips (ISTR about 6") and have
only occasionally felt the need to add more keepers. A full-width (900mm)
sheet of gal somewhere around 0.8mm thick is no problem. I've never tried
very wide *and* thick stuff.
The Magnabend is designed for sheet, not plate (but can be bullied with
extra keepers).
I'd not be inclined to force it, though, for the sake of the compound
hinges.

Seems cool, but I'm wondering whether it can handle tight tolerances
repetitively.

Brilliantly, easily and quickly.
....and all the while handling configurations that a regular pan-brake could
not even consider.

If I lived in your hemisphere, I'd have bought that unit immediately.

--
Jeff R.
(Sydney)