Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Various trades

SS wrote:
My situation..selling house (downsizing) this is likely to be my last move
before I pop my clogs.
Income will be very low from pensions but will be mortgage free.
So what to look for when buying another property as I dont want to spend £ks
after a couple of years.
My bid would be dependent on the life of some of the things below, in other
words if a combi lasts on average 12 years and it is already 10 years old
then I need to take that into account.

What is average life of a combi type gas boiler?

25 yrs?

What is average life of a tiled roof?

60 years before some maintenance needed. about 100 for full replacement.

What is average life of double glazing units?

Abourt 15 years IME.

What is average life of radiators (rusting through)

15-25 years probably. they dont rust. The same water crculates and there
is no air.

I am ok for general maintenance but dont want a big hit with lots of expense
if any of the above are on their last legs (average)
Anything else I should be looking at (assuming a survey will cover wood rot,
general building etc)

Almost any house over ten years old needs about 1% of its cost spent er
year on maintenance.

Any thoughts on this would be helpful.
thanks