Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default Whole House Ventilators and Heat Exchangers

On Jan 15, 4:54*pm, TheOldFellow wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 04:12:47 -0800 (PST)

harry wrote:
On Jan 14, 7:47*pm, TheOldFellow wrote:
I'm considering fitting one of these. *Perhaps this
one:http://www.cvcdirect.co.uk/Whole%20H...cvcdirect-akor...

Is there anyone with any experience of them? *Are they any good?
*Or do you really need to go the whole hog and spend thousands.

R.

I think if you're going for a near zero energy house they are worth
considering. Where they really come in is if you have a totally sealed
(ie draught proof) building. Other than that I believe their purpose
is defeated, (that is to provide fresh air and recover the heat).
There are signifiacnt running costs too in electricity and replacement
filters (Some are washable)
Some have HEP filters, OK I suppose if someone has an allergy problem.
But they are not washable and expensive to boot. *Life depends on
weather. Longer in wet weather.

Yes, I do have an hayfever problem, and here in cold old Cumbria I live
in the middle of grass land! *I could move to Brighton, I know.

My house is fully insulated and well sealed, so there may be some
benefits for us. *One of the problems we have in equalising the
temperature though the building, only one side gets any solar gain, so
this would help that too if I make the input air come mainly into the
cold end.

R.- Hide quoted text -

Well I have a similar house. However, I have not suceeded in making it
airtight.
I have a small wood burning stove.. it gets run at the moment for
about four hours/day.
I thought about one of these things but in the end decided they were a
waste of time. They're awfully expensive for what you get.