Posted to uk.d-i-y
Osprey Osprey is offline

Default Odd Microwave issue

On Jan 4, 3:45*pm, "Graham." wrote:
"Rick Hughes" wrote in m...
Every morning I make myself a Latte coffee, taking milk from the fridge, put it in mug and heat inMicrowavefor 1 minute ... just
to take fridge chill off the milk before frothing.
Use the same mug every morning .. bought the thing on holiday years ago..

The milk comes up to about room temp ... mug is barley warm to touch, (conduction from milk) handle does not warm at all.

3 weeks ago reached in and picked cup off ... and the handle was so hot it gave me full thickness burns to 2 fingers .. actually
burnt right into the fingers put in the handle to pick it up.

These were serious burns .... * along with a few choice words.

Even several minutes later the handle was too hot to touch, you could feel heat from it more than inch away ... yet milk and rest
of mug were normal luke warm temp.

I have since used same mug at least 20 times .. and it is back to normal.

# Why would handle only get so hot (way over 100 degrees C)

# Why only the once

# a mate commented that the reason was the handle had touched the sides ofmicrowave(unknown) ... but how would that make a
difference.

Does it have a turntable, and was it working?
Themicrowaveenergy in the is very uneven within the cavity and the mug handle
might have been in a hot-spot.

I take it there was no gold-leaf under the glaze?

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%- Hide quoted text -

It has a turntable ... the only guess I could come up with was that
the handle had touched door or side and was not rotating .... but
still at a loss why the handle would get so hot.
It is just a plain handle ... ceramic , no splits .... and I still use
it every day ... only happened the once.
Scars still healing !