Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default DIY ADSL connection?

In article , The Natural Philosopher
scribeth thus
tony sayer wrote:
In article , John Williamson johnwilli
scribeth thus
Timothy Murphy wrote:
Clive George wrote:

On 13/01/2011 15:28, Timothy Murphy wrote:
Huge wrote:

The manufacturer calls the device attached to the internet a "modem",
They're wrong.
I think a manufacturer probably knows better than you what he is making.
I'd rather hope the manufacturer knows exactly what they're making.
However their marketing department may choose to use a different name
when describing it to consumers in order to sell more stuff.
According to Wikipedia, "A modem is a device or program
that enables a computer to transmit data over, for example,
telephone or cable lines."

You obviously have a different definition.
What is it; and do you have some authority to back your definition?

The Modem is the bit that turns the stream of digital bits into analogue
signals.

Umm ... where are the analogue signals in a lets say router that you'd
use for a ADSL Broadband service in the UK;?..

On the telephone line.

Would you like to explain that a -bit- further;?..
--
Tony Sayer