Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default Magnabend

On Jan 14, 4:04*pm, Wes wrote:
"Denis G." wrote:

Nice work and good ideas! *Did you need anything special to cut the
MOTs in half? *I haven't tried it, but I thought that they were high
silicon steel metal and quite hard.

We keep a tired surface grinder set up with a 7" x 1/32 abrasive cut off disk mounted for
dealing with shortening hard materials. *We get the disks from Norton in a box of 25. They
are a bit fragile but I doubt you would have any trouble cutting those laminations with
it. *You don't want to try free handing with these disks.

Wes
in their eyes." *Dick Anthony Heller

That sounds like a nice set up, but with 1/32" thk disk, you probably
have to feed it pretty slow or risk shattering the blade. If I don't
find enough MOTs, I'll probably use my abrasive blade chop saw to
halve the transformers. If that Magnabend had been in my neck of the
woods, I would have snatched it.