Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default Panelling out a shower cubicle (ie not tiling)?

On Jan 15, 9:53 am, stuart noble wrote:
On 14/01/2011 20:18, andrew wrote:

On Jan 14, 6:03 pm, wrote:
Will be refurbishing our shower at home shortly. SWMBO has decided that
it might be nice to fit it out with flat perspex-type panels rather than
conventional tiles, like you often get in hotel rooms etc.

I have no experience of fitting anything like this, and googling has
thrown up number of possible suppliers (none of which I've ever heard of, eghttp://www.bathroommarquee.co.uk/decos-spaceline.phphttp://mermaidpan...)

Costs appear to vary from about the same as tiling to substantially
more. Anyone done this as a viable alternative to tiling? Any tips,
experiences, sources of materials etc gratefully received.

David

We've used these ones a few times:
http://www.multipanel.co.uk/

They look good, are lasting well so far (6 years or so for the first
ones we fitted) and are easy to fit.
From memory we pay about 75 + VAT for an 8 x 4 sheet in white, a bit
more for the more interesting ones.
When we fit them in our house, I'm thinking about adding the concealed
speaker system -http://www.multipanel.co.uk/soundPanel/soundpanel.asp

I was looking at the free standing shower cubicles (Kubex and others)
that are delivered assembled. A bit pricey but I guess they would be
quick to install.

once stayed in a holiday apartment that had these as a shower and a
steam shower - by the time we visited they very creaky, fading,
cracked (presumably from accidents??), and general felt charmless,
cheap and generally "in need of replacement".

Jim K