Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Heat sink for full wave rectifier? (metalworking content)

On 01/14/2011 03:43 PM, wrote:
On Jan 14, 4:35 pm, wrote:

The question is: should a bridge rectifier be heat-sunk (sinked?) in
such an application? If so, how big (roughly) should the heat sink
be? Would it be sufficient to bolt the rectifier to the 4" square
metal enclosure? Thanks for your input.
--
Best -- Terry

The rectifier should have a heat sink.

Where are you? The local recycling place ( Actually scrap yard ) has
aluminum finned heat sinks. Not especially cheap at a dollar a lb.
They range from small to big.

OTOH, if you've got some sheet aluminum, some heat sink goo, and no
cash, you can bend up a bunch of ever-narrower 'U' shapes and stack
them. I wouldn't do this unless I was _seriously_ short on cash,
because if your scrapyard doesn't have heat sinks (mine doesn't) you can
still find them cheap at electronics surplus places.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services