Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default OT - Global Warming Explained

On Jan 14, 4:11*pm, Pete Snell wrote:
On 1/14/2011 3:59 PM, Rich Grise wrote:

Ever been at a picnic or something and a cloud blows over and blocks
the sun? But The Church of Warmingism apparently doesn't believe in
clouds.

Thanks,
Rich

* *Sure have experienced that! But clouds aren't CO2........., and I've
noticed that visible light decreases as well when that cloud passes
over. And I don't know what the church of warmingism has to do with it,
I thought we were talking about CO2 blocking all IR, which is what had
been implied.

Pete

Fig 3 shows the absorption spectra of other IR absorbers:
http://www.iitap.iastate.edu/gccours.../spectrum.html
You can see the double peak for CO2 at 2 microns here and on the solar
radiation spectrum, and also how overwhelmingly important water is in
the total.

The Earth radiates back to space at 10 microns and longer, where CO2
absorption is significant. This suggests to me that the nighttime
cooling rate should be watched. However AFAIK the dew point, water
again, sets the nighttime low temperature. This may be the absorption
he was talking about.

Glass keeps a greenhouse warm because glass passes the largely visible-
light energy from the sun but blocks infrared re-radiation from
within.