Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe Joe is offline

Default HF Air Compressor Fitting Leak

On Jan 14, 8:23*am, DerbyDad03 wrote:

snip

Is something that can be cleaned/adjusted or should I just replace the
fitting?

Replace the fitting, but not on the compressor. Instead, put the
coupling on a short length of hose screwed into the compressor outlet.
The reason for this is that the compressor vibration will cause severe
wear on the spud lower flange from the 3 retaining balls in the
coupling and allow it to move enough to leak past the O-ring. On
rather large compressors this will not be a problem, but it is on the
budget models.
Air fittings range widely in quality. No brand of air fittings has
more loyal users than MIlton. They have a 90+ page catalog that can be
DL'd which will take a lot of the mystery out of air fittings of all
types. You can sometimes get a bit more service life from an old
compressor by switching over to Milton's new high flow V-type
fittings. Most of the body shops in our area have converted to keep up
with HVLP demands.

Joe