Posted to alt.home.repair
Reno Reno is offline

Default Just had a strange conversation with PG&E about an illegal pole on my property

I spoke earlier with PG&E who said only that if the pole has no easement
then they will ask me what I want to do to correct the situation (they
were extremely vague).

I was just looking for ideas of how best to handle this from you guys.
And, if anyone knows the value of a "power line easement", that they
would tell me their experience (I have no idea if it's worth one dollar
or one hundred thousand dollars, for example).

The way to 'handle' the situation is to first determine that there is
indeed no easement. If there isn't then ask/require them to move the wires.
That's what they want you to do. The hassle and cost of determining that
there is no easement is all your's. If you don't do that they have no
problem at all, just some complaining from you, so why should they do
anything?

Moving the wires would require at least relocating one pole, maybe adding
one pole. Estimate $1,000 for materials and 4 hours of equipment at
$100/hr, 2 men for 4 hours = 8 manhours at $50/hour and it may cost them
about $1800 to move the wires. They could offer you half that, $900, to
save themselves the trouble. They would have additional expense of legal
and title fees to ensure any easement that buys them is properly done. So
they would not be any money ahead if they offered you $900. To make it
better from their standpoint they may offer much less. I doubt you'd get
much over the $500 to $1,000 range. If I was them I'd just move the wires
and have it done with - a lot less office time and bother. They won't do
anything at all though if you don't start the process.