Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT - Global Warming Explained

On Jan 14, 1:09*am, Hawke wrote:
On 1/13/2011 8:20 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:

Is there a single scientist that doesn't get paid by somebody else? *Is all
GW AGW? *Is it proven to be reversible?

Most of us know that nothing in science is 100%. That means no matter
how strong the evidence is that man is making the planet hotter there's
always a possibility something else is the cause. But science also
relies on probability. On that score the probability is that it is way
more than likely that man's activities, i.e. burning fossil fuels, is
the cause of it. It's not a proven scientific fact at this point but the
probability is so high that we should take it as a fact.

The problem is that there is a side in the debate that is dishonest and
doesn't care one bit what the truth is. That side has a huge financial
interest in what the truth is. That side is the corporations who produce
the vast quantities of greenhouse gasses that are considered to be the
culprit in the global warming story. Just as the tobacco companies did
in the past, because it was in their economic interest, it's completely
understandable that the energy producers would also try to cover up the
facts if it might cost them money. In reality, we all know companies
will do just about anything to protect their markets. So the idea that
energy companies and other gross polluters are actively putting on a
campaign of disinformation to cloud the facts on this issue is easy
enough to believe is true. But we don't have to guess that companies are
trying to convince the public that global warming doesn't exist. Because
we already know that companies like Koch Industries are spending
millions of dollars to make it look like global warming is a hoax. We
know other companies are doing this too. We have plenty of facts to
prove it.

So given that we know there is a group out there spending millions to
try to cover up the truth because it may cost them financially, and
given that we know most climate scientists say global warming is a fact.
You have to pick a side. To me it's easy. One side is the world's
foremost experts on the climate and the other side is the companies that
produce the pollution that is heating up the planet. Why anyone would
really not see the truth is the real question. But considering the
disastrous consequences that would occur if man is responsible for the
planet's heating up, why would anyone take the chance. It's like today's
version of what's known as Pascal's Wager. Or simply it's better to be
prepared for the worst than have it hit us at the worst possible moment.

Hawke

Very good post.

TMT