Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default 4th axis progress (DoN)

A Black Box FT012 crimper I found on eBay will crimp 3 sizes of flagged-type
terminals in wire gages 28-24, 24-20 and 18-16.

http://www.blackbox.com/Store/Detail...imp-Tool/FT012

The FT012 tool works very nicely with the sub-D terminals and small Molex
terminals for 18-16 ga.

--
WB

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

Certainly the HDP-20 for the connectors with two rows of pins
(or the DD-50 three-row ones). But the crimper seems to work well
enough on the HDP-22 ones as well. Note that the HDP-22 pins are all
listed for 28-22 ga, instead of two groupings -- 24-20 and 28-24. Both
series seem to be for insulation diameter up to 0.040", and (IIRC) the
major diameter of the back body of the pin (as distinguished from the
actual pin diameter) is the same so the crimper's nest will work with
both.

I'm not sure which crimper I would use for the 26-22 size range
(a few of the HDP-20 pins are marked that), but I have the 24-20 and the
28-24 size pins.

The HDP-22 pins are for connectors like the VGA connectors (15
pins in a DE-sized shell, instead of the usual 9 pins for that shell.

So -- unless you need more pins for a given size (and have or
plan to get the appropriate shells), stick with the HDP-20 pins.

Note that you can sometimes buy the pins in reels (and they cost
less that way), but these are for automated machines which snip the pin
off a continuous back strip of metal as they are crimped. And you have
to buy rolls of 20,000 pins -- nice for production, but a bit much for a
hobby worker. :-) $0.04 per pin sounds nice, until you discover that
you've just ordered an $800.00 reel of pins. (I've gotten reels of
pins, via surplus paths, for quite reasonable prices, but it is a pain
to have to snip each pin free of the backing strap. (And no -- I'm not
going to get one of the industrial machines to crimp them. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564