Posted to alt.home.repair
RogerT RogerT is offline

Default Dryer shutting itself off -- curious.

"WW" wrote in message
. ..

The problem of shutting off and needing to wait quite awhile is most
likely the Klixon thermostat that is in the motor. They open on
overheating and reset after motor cools down. So did you blow out the lint
in the motor? Also this Klixon will respond to load (dragging drum
friction.) problem due to the need of the plastic parts that are glides
for the front of the drum. On some brands the glides and the sealing ring
come as a kit including the glue. Look up www.repairclinic.com . They have
breakdown of all parts if you search for your make and model #. Very nice
people to deal with. WW

Interesting. Thanks.

It looks like we should have bought these -- Drum Bearing, Felt Seals,
Pulley, Belt, Item #1261075 (OEM Part), $29.15 --
http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDeta...ber=GLER341AS0 .

Then we could have also replaced the felt seals, pulley, belt etc. while
doing the rear bearing replacement.

When we went to buy the rear bearing assembly kit (about $30), the guy also
showed us a separate pulley, belt replacement package (about another $30)
and said we may want to go ahead and replace those at the same time. I
didn't notice if that package had the felt seals included. Since we hadn't
even taken the dryer apart yet, I didn't even know there were felt seals.

My hunch is that you are correct -- it is the motor overheating due to the
felt seals and friction problem. So, we may just go for the gusto and try
replacing the felt seals, pulley, belt, etc.

I am not sure how that would explain the fact that the drum keeps turning
with the door open, but maybe there is also a bad door switch.