Posted to alt.home.repair
The Ghost in The Machine The Ghost in The Machine is offline

Default Foundation Issues

On Jan 9, 5:57*pm, upwardcall wrote:
We purchased a hundred year old house in NE Missouri a few years ago.
There is a ridge in the kitchen floor. *Under that floor is a concrete
cellar that is about 6 feet tall. *The rest of the foundation is
probably only 3 feet tall. *We've been told the rest of the foundation
has probably sunk but, of course, the cellar portion has sunk a lot
less - leaving us with the ridge.

Any suggestions? *If we were to take the drastic choice to raise the
house and put in a new foundation, we aren't sure the house would go
back to its original state intact anyway (as a matter of fact, most
contractors have told us to level and start over instead). *Some have
told us to put in several jacks and slowly lift the house. *Others
have suggested we just make the kitchen level with the cellar side
(but I'm pretty sure that would mean a step into our living room). *We
also thought we could take extreme measures to cut out the concrete
and lower that portion. *What would you do?

As a side note we are considering putting an addition on the side of
the house.

Thanks!

THIS IS A VERY GOOD TOPIC FOR THIS GROUP....BUILDING TECHNOLOGY HAS
ADVANCED TO A STATE WHERE YOUR HOUSE IS TOTALLY SALVAGEABLE...I AM
GOING TO ASK THOSE TWO NAUGHTY GHOST THAT HANG AROUND YOUR HOUSE TO
STOP MESSING WITH IT...GOOD LUCK WITH ALL YOUR HOME REPAIRS...YOU POOR
DEARS.

PAT ECUM