Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default OT - Computer

On 14 Jan 2011 11:06:24 GMT, Adrian wrote:

One thing worth knowing is that OpenOffice is in the throes of forking at
the moment, following Oracle's purchase of Sun. The DocumentFoundation's
LibreOffice is in 3.3 beta at the moment - and is the "true" successor to
the current OpenOffice.org 3.2. I don't know what Oracle will do longer
term, but I think the community will move to LibreOffice generally.

A couple of days ago I downloaded LO 3.3 latest release, uninstalled OO and
installed LO. It picked up the mods that I'd made to OO in spite of the User
files having gone from Docs and Settings - not too worried as it saved some
work.

OO 3.2 took, to open a spreadsheet, about 15 - 16s; LO takes 25 - 26s, so
back to OO2.x days! For comparison, Excel 2003 takes 2s!

It'll be interesting to see how the Final of LO 3.3 performs and if
http://go-oo.org/ will do anything with it.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away