Posted to uk.d-i-y
D.M.Chapman D.M.Chapman is offline

Default OT - Computer

In article , Huge wrote:
On 2011-01-14, dmc@puffin. (D.M.Chapman) dmc@puffin wrote:

I'm a massive opensource fan, and generally avoid MS software whenever
possible. I run MS office...

OO is ok for minor work - if you are working alone on spreadsheets or
word processing then it's fine. If you are hoping to exchange documents
with people who use MS Office then expect some pain.

Hmmm. I do this all the time, and have had exactly zero problems going
MS Office - OO. I've come across one extremely complex s/sheet which
wouldn't convert MS - OO. I've never had any complaints from people to
whom I've sent docs & spreadsheets that actually came out of OO.

Spreadsheets and docs created in OO and saved to a MS format tend to be ok
(but I've seen issues with fonts - and footnotes IIRC). Opening MS docs in
OO less successful.

I've never used the database or drawing packages. I use Presenter to
display PPt and have never had any trouble with that. I've never done
a Presenter - PPt conversion.

The OO powerpoint equiv is the weakest part in my experience (I've not
tried it for a while mind - maybe it's improved). A whole world of pain
a year or so ago.

Overall, I'd happily never use MS Office ever again. Indeed, "I" don't,
since the Windows/Office laptop I have is provided by my employer. I use
Linux/OO.

Office is one of the MS products that seems pretty good - another is their
mice (I've a stash of Intellimouse in the drawer incase they stop making
them :-))

Darren