Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Danniken[_4_] Jon Danniken[_4_] is offline

Default Magnabend

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
However, it is not the laminations which you need to grind through,
it is the weldment (likely MIG) which connects the "E" part to the
"I" part. ...

Yahbut, in FunWithMOTs in did indeed cut a few of them in half. Before I
realized that the laminations weren't interleaved and the
MOTs could be "opened" at the welds.

Gotcha, at least we know it's not too much work to cut the laminations.

On a side note, I played with the little transformer I posted pics of
earlier, using it as a lifting magnet. I hooked it up to my variac, and set
it to deliver about 10 amps to the transformer when the open end of the "E"
was facing down on a ten pound piece of steel bar. On each end of the steel
bar I placed 10 pounds.

I turned the power on, and it lifted all 30 pounds, but the transformer
vibrated along the steel bar, indicating that I was approaching the limit at
that current. Dropping the weight down to 20 pounds, it didn't move from
it's position on the steel bar.

That was my big fun for the day.

Jon