Posted to alt.home.repair
Reno Reno is offline

Default Just had a strange conversation with PG&E about an illegal pole on my property

Mel Knight wrote in
:

I just found what appears to be an illegal power pole with telephone
lines (yes, a power pole, with telephone lines) on my property that
cross the property but do not serve my home.

The title company report shows nothing of the sort.

After a week on the phone (off and on) with PG&E, they just now told
me to write a letter stating the 'conflict' (their words, not mine)
and what I'd like the resolution to be.

When I asked what are the available 'resolutions' they wouldn't tell
me.

Do you have any experience in this area?

The problem may be serious for you in that if or when you ever want to
sell the property you will have to disclose the existence of the wires
across the property to prospective buyers. Some buyers may make removal
of the wires a condition of sale and you will then need to correct it
under pressure of sale and time. So get it fixed now or settle the issue
while there is no rush.

The best first step is to write a letter to the power company telling
them of the wires and requiring them to relocate the poles in such a way
that the wires do not cross your property. It is most likely that they
will make you a cash offer for the right to leave the wires in place. You
then decide whether it is a small enough issue that it is worth it to
accept the cash. Best to consult with a lawyer about the ramifications of
leaving the wires in place. If you take the cash you will be stuck with
the wires forever and so will future buyers of the property.

Maybe even ask the lawyer if you have recourse on the people who sold you
the property with the wires and did not disclose it to you. Whether they
knew about them or not, they probably signed something to the effect that
there were no encumberances or some such things. Maybe it is their
responsibility to get the wires removed.