Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default OT--Actual elecytronics repair question

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 23:30:32 +0000 (UTC), Meat Plow
wrote:

Those that suggested the fix called it grounding. That's all I know.

I suppose it's possible to play with the grounding enough to affect
the feedback phase of the microphonics, but the main cause is
mechanical. Generate a UHF carrier with something, and set the radio
to that channel with a fairly strong carrier. Put the radio to your
ear and beat on the case with something. Can you hear the pounding
coming out of the speaker? If yes, you have microphonics.

Yeah the WIRES/ inet radio is crap. And the beacon function for other
hams radios to alert when your in range. Forget what that's called maybe
ARS? It's got a lot of good functions besides that. I'd like to see a
battery voltage display option that keeps it on the screen past power on
like the VX-5 has.

I think it's Alinco that has the ultrasonic sound generator that keeps
the mosquitoes away. Now, that's innovation.

Unless your repeater is a few miles in radius from you a small duck is
good enough. My closest repeater is 12 miles. I have a Cushcraft AR270
about 15 feet above the roof with Belden 8319 coax @ about 560 foot.
Does a great job. Also have at about the same height a Cush Ringo AR6.

I think we have more repeaters than active hams in the area. Choice
is a good thing, until it's time to program the radio. The small
rubber duck is usually enough. For anything more, I sometimes play
mobile repeater using the radio in my vehicle.

I sometimes serve as our district's backbone liaison for Skywarn and talk
to the NWS on 6. Make me feel like a big shot.

We have some local hams that are members of Skywarn. There's also a
ham station at the NWS office in Monterey, CA. I'm (fortunately) not
involved. We have micro climates here due to the mountains. It's not
unusual to have a heavy rain that's only about a mile wide.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D