Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default Magnabend

On Jan 12, 10:23*pm, "Artemus" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote in message

... Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Oh, that's cool! *I wanna' build one. *Maybe use a bunch of microwave
oven transformer coils. *I wonder if there's anything special in the
controls. *E.g., a special waveform driving the electromagnets.

Hmmmm, maybe rip off the "I" laminations, remove the coils, and replace them
with something custom wound, leaving the "E" laminations facing up?

Jon

See thishttp://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/FunWithMOTs.pdf
* * * * all the way down at the bottom.
I've played with MOTs and have found that by wiring the primaries of
2 MOTs in series and connecting to 120VAC they don't saturate. *This
keeps primary current lower and the core doesn't overheat when left
powered on for an extended time. *(secondaries were removed)
Art

Nice work and good ideas! Did you need anything special to cut the
MOTs in half? I haven't tried it, but I thought that they were high
silicon steel metal and quite hard.