Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms
mleuck mleuck is offline

Default Automatic fire sprinklers

On Jan 12, 11:55*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jan 12, 12:51*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

?
"nick markowitz" wrote

The smoking in bed is one scenario where a sprinkler would not save
your life due to smoke inhalation.

Once it became a blaze though, it could save others if the smoke has not
already gotten to them.
Smoke detectors are far more important than sprinklers to warn people.

Why is there no single sprinkler head easy install kit for existing
homes where they could be easily attached to an existing water source
in a basement area where pipes are usual very accessible and where
many fires start.
and could well serve to suppress a fire. At one time a saw a small
garden hose kit with single head you attached to back of washer and
then hanged on ceiling.

Some 20 *years ago I saw a water valve that replaced the one on the feed
line to your boiler. *In the case of a fire from the boiler, it would
activate as a sprinkler. *The idea was that many fires start at residential
heaters so this would take care of one common source. * I never saw it in
production though.

A compromise might be to have sprinklers at fireplaces, kitchens,
laundry rooms and gas heat/hw. *Dryers are common fire starter. *Lint
plus hot is bad.

I'd go even farther and outlaw electricity to the house, someone here
once said "If it saves ONE life it's worth it" so......