Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TVs compatible, from one continent to the next??

Don't think you've been following things. DVDs as such
don't have either an NTSC or PAL footprint unless the
originating material had.

I don't think that's correct. There are differences in the number
of scanning lines and frame rate on NTSC and PAL DVDs.

There are - but neither are *fundamental* to PAL or NTSC.

Okay... Right...

With regard to your comment -- which is something like
"there's no water in a glass unless you've poured water
into it" -- what sort of non-PAL or non-NTSC-format material
would you record on a video DVD?

If the material is sourced from a composite PAL recording,
it will retain the PAL footprint.

Now you've lost me. I didn't know that DVDs were -- or could be -- made from
composite sources. MPEG encoding wasn't intended to work with composite
signals -- was it?