Posted to alt.home.repair
harry harry is offline

Default O.T. The sick gun culture.

On Jan 11, 7:14*pm, The Daring Dufas
wrote:
On 1/11/2011 10:47 AM, Steve B wrote:

*wrote in message
om...
Steve B wrote:

Carrying a firearm is near the bottom of the list. I'd rank the
defenses as:

* Avoiding dangerous situations and locations
* Leave any situation that develops
* Try to de-escalate the confrontation
* Carry a firearm
* Display the firearm
* Shoot the goblin if unlawful force is threatened.

Displaying a firearm and not using it can be considered as
"brandishing a firearm" in many states.

Scenario: *Bad guys want to rob you. *You "display" firearm and they
retreat. *They go to police officer and state that you waved a gun at
them. One lies and the other swears to it. *You get arrested and lose
your permit.
You never pull a gun unless you shoot it.

I say you're wrong. Displaying a firearm and NOT shooting it is
meritorious and worthy of praise. You've prevented a disaster and no one
died.

You are correct that the object of my affections may take it the wrong way
and get all ****y, and I'd certainly take his attitude into account before
escalating the conflict to a potential shoot-out.

On the two occasions I've had to display my sidearm, the actors would have
to bathe, put down their tire-iron, and wipe the drool from their chins
before making a complaint.

In my state, you can't lose your permit simply because you were arrested.

described was explained to me during my third CCF class by an Internal
Affairs Bureau panel member with the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police
Department who investigates OIS's. *(Officer Involved Shootings) *He
explained that if one perp lies, and another swears to it, you would lose
the gun and permit until you could make a judge agree with your side of said
scenario. *He said he had seen it happen.

Bottom line, yes, you can defuse some situations by showing a weapon, or
even intimating one with your hand. *But, you also must admit that there
have been situations where doing that has gotten innocent people in trouble.

I monitor Southern Nevada Law Enforcement channels when in Las Vegas, and
have for years. *You'd be surprised the number of people who call in others
for making a gun gesture with their hands. *Now, the police do not really
look for that individual, but have it on record, and if that person is
stopped, it pops out, and then they usually spend some time getting
searched.

As always, the laws hinder "normal" people.

Steve

Heck, in The UK you go to jail if you defend yourself against someone
trying to kill you.

TDD- Hide quoted text -

You can kill some-one that, for example, breaks into your home. But
you must desist the moment they cease to be a threat.
There are a few well known cases where people didn't, and found
themselves in trouble. Like the gang of Pakis chased a burglar down
the road and beat him to death with a cricket bat. Or was it a hockey
stick?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munir_H...tims%27_rights
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(farmer)