Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Painting downspout pipes? ? ?

On Jan 11, 4:17*pm, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/11/2011 11:47 AM hr(bob) spake thus:

On Jan 11, 12:58 pm, Red Green wrote:

"Ray" wrote in
news:Rq%Wo.10241$111.5759 @newsfe12.iad:

We have brown metal downspouts, but these feed into connectors
that come about two feet off the ground. These connectors are
some kind of heavy plastic-type material and are white.

Dumb question, but you never know these days when you might do
something wrong:

If I prime these pipes thoroughly, can I paint them brown?

Your post implies you want to paint the downspouts which are
already brown. Sounds like what you want to paint brown is the
white plastic pipe it feeds to. That's just white PVC drain I'm
guessing. I've painted indoor ones many times.

Can't say if it will flake off over time. Clean them good with
sandpaper. Use a good primer. Oil base better I would GUESS. If you
had some "bonding" primer laying around, that would be awesome.
Stuff ain't cheap 15-20/qt. Good for wood and metal. Don't know
about PVC.

Use a paint meant for plastic, like the spray paint for refinisheing
plastic lawn/garden chairs,

Absolutely no need for that.

Use any good ordinary oil-based primer. Not going to hurt any kind of
plastic used for that kind of stuff (ABS, PVC, etc.).

* *To me, the *plonk...* reminds me of the old man at the public hearing
* *who stands to make his point, then removes his hearing aid as a sign
* *that he is not going to hear any rebuttals.- Hide quoted text -

The paint for use on plastic has better adherence characteristics and
also seems to expand better with the temperature expansion of plastic
which is quite high.