Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Designing

?
"FrozenNorth" wrote

Don't take this personally, but you seem to go for the government approach
of designing a $100,000 hammer, when $50 will do just fine.

Hey, don't talk about my father-in-law like that! He'd spend an hour making
a tool or fixture to save 30 seconds on a five minute job. It is more the
challenge of "I can do that" rather than any real time savings. The
difference between a hobby and a profit making business.

I often do a sketch or simple drawing of a project. Most times, I'll do it
while sitting in front of the TV when it is too cold to work out in the
shop. It also gives me an opportunity to think of different ways of
accomplishing a particular task, make a material list, etc. It may be
boring for the more experienced guys, but it helps me to have a plan. .