Posted to alt.home.repair
Smarty Smarty is offline

Default Anti-slip Paint

On 1/11/2011 7:45 PM, Bob F wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/11/2011 3:29 PM Red Green spake thus:

wrote in
- september.org:

On 1/11/2011 5:43 PM, Tony Hwang wrote:
Sweepin, shoveling snow lately but thinking ahead for summer. My
porch rises about 6 steps and back porch 4 steps. I'd like to
apply anti-slip paint, so stairs will be little safer. Any
recommendations?
Typically you just ask for anti slip (small glass beads) to be
added to the paint at the paint store.
Then there's the cheap f'ker route and toss some sand in. Never
actually did it but it sounds delightfully cheap.

So I wonder how much better the store-bought stuff could be than just
tossing in sand. Shoot, I'd try that first.

You would want to stir the sand mix frequently during application.

I had a new driveway and garage floor installed this last summer and
decided to have an epoxy floor paint applied to my new cured concrete in
order to protect the concrete from staining.

The new epoxy floor had the recommended amount of sand added to make it
"non-slip" and the floor appeared to be excellent until the winter snow
arrived.

I am now finding that my "non-slip" epoxy coated floor is very slippery,
and have been forced to buy rubber mats to install in all the walking
areas (for $800) to make it safer to walk to and from the cars.

I suggest you make your choice VERY CAREFULLY since a lot of surfaces
when wet get to be really treacherous / dangerous, even if they claim to
be "non-skid".