Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TVs compatible, from one continent to the next??

I've no experience in PAL or SECAM whatsoever.
But to just unilaterally claim the NTSC is inferior --
I just don't see it. So there must be more to the
story. Maybe politics in some wild manner? That
tends to **** people off.

It appears that the incorrect belief that PAL is "superior" is based on the
fact that PAL is somewhat self-correcting for non-linear phase errors, and
that one can build a receiver that automatically corrects for static phase
errors in the burst or subcarrier.

These features, of course, have nothing whatever to do with the /basic/
image quality of the system, and aren't needed if the video distribution
system is properly designed and maintained.

In every other respect, NTSC is objectively superior to PAL.