Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TVs compatible, from one continent to the next??

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Don't care where they were from - you can't judge any system using
domestic tapes of those days. I'm beginning to wonder about your
personal standards if you think you can.

Yawn. More America bashing.

Eh? Well I suppose you are American.

Commercially produced European tapes on European VCR & TV.

And you think commercially produced VHS or BetaMax tapes are suitable for
judging any system? And you claim to have worked in broadcasting?

The BBC did extensive testing before introducing colour. In the
first instance with NTSC RCA cameras. Huge things with 3" IO
tubes. Had a modification of NTSC to say 625 50 Hz been the way
forward, they'd not have adopted (and been part of the design) of
PAL.

Image Orthicons? That figures.

Just when do you think colour cameras stopped using them? The plumbicon
wasn't invented until '60.

I have no idea when the BBC quit using them, but Image Orthicons were
short lived in the US.

IOs where in use for mono up until the late '60s. Colour started off with
4 tube plumbicons.

The RCA TK-44 was a vidicon color camera. The
TK 46 was the same camera, but using Plumbicons. Image Orthicons
required a lot more light, and didn't provide as clean of an image as
the Vidicons. A Plumbicon is a Vidicon with a lead oxide faceplate.

IO were more sensitive than videcon. Only videcon colour cameras I've seen
were low end industrial.

And you think the few cameras you've seen are suitable for judging
any system? Just because you didn't see them doesn't mean they weren't
built. I was using an RCA TK-16 Vidicon camera in the service that was
built in the late '60s.

Vidicon cameras were usable in low light, properly designed. Not
that the BBC was renowned for state of the art. I saw one of the first
single gun color TV cameras in 1972/73, built by Magnavox for industrial
video applications. That was at Ft. Rucker, Al. where the video
production section was looking into newer cameras. If you consider 2"
Ampex industrial video, you might argue. The mobile production units
were several tractor trailers full, and they had just bought the first
Tektronix U-matic decks built.

http://afrts.dodmedia.osd.mil/herita...archive_email1 About
half way down has an email I sent to a DOD website about the history of
AFRTS.

Teflon coated.