Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TVs compatible, from one continent to the next??

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:
Don't care where they were from - you can't judge any system using
domestic tapes of those days. I'm beginning to wonder about your
personal standards if you think you can.

Yawn. More America bashing.

Eh? Well I suppose you are American.

Commercially produced European tapes on European VCR & TV.

And you think commercially produced VHS or BetaMax tapes are suitable for
judging any system? And you claim to have worked in broadcasting?

The BBC did extensive testing before introducing colour. In the
first instance with NTSC RCA cameras. Huge things with 3" IO
tubes. Had a modification of NTSC to say 625 50 Hz been the way
forward, they'd not have adopted (and been part of the design) of
PAL.

Image Orthicons? That figures.

Just when do you think colour cameras stopped using them? The plumbicon
wasn't invented until '60.

I have no idea when the BBC quit using them, but Image Orthicons were
short lived in the US.

IOs where in use for mono up until the late '60s. Colour started off with
4 tube plumbicons.

The RCA TK-44 was a vidicon color camera. The
TK 46 was the same camera, but using Plumbicons. Image Orthicons
required a lot more light, and didn't provide as clean of an image as
the Vidicons. A Plumbicon is a Vidicon with a lead oxide faceplate.

IO were more sensitive than videcon. Only videcon colour cameras I've seen
were low end industrial.

--
*When cheese gets its picture taken, what does it say? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.