Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default TVs compatible, from one continent to the next??

Meat Plow wrote:
How did this devolve into a PAL/NTSC ****ing match? From what little TV I
watch in the evening, HD channels on TWC, I think the color rendering is
perfect. And NTSC DVD video is the same. So what's the problem here? A
lack of real things to argue about?

It got there because there had to be some justification over which system
was chosen other than the country next door did something else. Then it
devoloved from ignorance of existance of multisystem TVs and VCRs into
justification why they could not exist.

To summarize, by 1985 I had bought, in Philadelphia (USA) the following:
TV set, 19 inch, 25 inch and 14 inch and VHS and BETA VCRS which would play
and record NTSC/60 3.57, NTSC/60 4.43, PAL/50, PAL/60 (TV only) and
SECAM/50 video. Tuners for NTSC, European PAL, UK PAL and non French SECAM
(aka Middle East SECAM).

In 1987 I added a VCR that would record and play PAL/60 and French SECAM.

In 1992 I added a VCR that would do digital conversions between any of the
above.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson N3OWJ/4X1GM
Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to misquote it.