Joe Willmann

Default How do I save this wood?

"mad mountain" wrote in message
How do I save this wood?

Ok here is the problem. I have about 400 bf of the most beautiful
apricot lumber you have ever seen, Most pieces are 20+ inches wide
and 6 feet long and 1 ¾ inches thick. But many of the pieces are
twisted and warped because of improper drying.

I want to rescue this wood for use in building guitar backs and sides
so

is
there any way to fix this wood? I know that the normal process is to
cut

it
into narrower strips then surface it on a jointer but I really don't
want

do that only as a last resort. I want to rescue as much of the wood
as possible and I know you people out there must know some ancient
secret to

do
this. The process must stabilize the wood with minimal memory for
springback. I will consider any process including vacuum reformation
if possible.

In the end I will probably cut it into strips 2X1 ¾ then glue and
resaw

thickness as they have done for the Zircote back of the guitar at

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdproducts.asp?

CategoryName=Backs+and+Si
des&NameProdHeader=Ziricote

Any help or suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks for your help and
expertise. I just love the internet for this kind of exchange of

knowledge.

1) Build a steam room/box big enough to hold the wood (all or part).
Make sure there is enough room to allow steam to get to all parts.

2) Put the wood in the steamer in such a way that it is properly
stickered for drying.

3) Steam the hell out of it for a long time.

4) Remove the steam.

5) Slowly, every so slowly start dropping the humidity. Once the wood
moisture gets back down to something close to the moisture content for
fresh cut wood remove it from the steamer. Sticker it ands start the
air drying process all over.

Warning - this might not work and it will take a year or so.

Some woods just will not dry flat because of the stress in the wood.