Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Painting downspout pipes? ? ?

"Ray" wrote in news:Rq%Wo.10241$111.5759
@newsfe12.iad:

We have brown metal downspouts, but these feed into connectors that come
about two feet off the ground. These connectors are some kind of heavy
plastic-type material and are white.

Dumb question, but you never know these days when you might do something
wrong:

If I prime these pipes thoroughly, can I paint them brown?

Your post implies you want to paint the downspouts which are already brown.
Sounds like what you want to paint brown is the white plastic pipe it feeds
to. That's just white PVC drain I'm guessing. I've painted indoor ones many
times.

Can't say if it will flake off over time. Clean them good with sandpaper.
Use a good primer. Oil base better I would GUESS. If you had some
"bonding" primer laying around, that would be awesome. Stuff ain't cheap
15-20/qt. Good for wood and metal. Don't know about PVC.