Posted to alt.home.repair

Default O.T. The sick gun culture. AKA Harry is our village idiot.

On Jan 11, 1:41*am, DD_BobK wrote:
On Jan 10, 11:38*am, RicodJour wrote:

On Jan 10, 1:01*pm, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

I once pulled a handgun to stop two dogs from making lunch of out of son's
legs. There was no risk to anyone but the two dogs. Unfortunately, the owner
stopped them before I could dispatch them.

Unfortunately...? *You wanted to shoot the dogs? *Interesting. *I've
never threatened a dog, but I have told the owner I would be punching
him in the face unless he controlled his dogs.

You can't generalize. All civilian gun confrontations are theoretical until
they actually happen.

Don't take this the wrong way, but those last two sentences have no
information in them. *Everything is theoretical until it happens.
Everything. *It doesn't change the scenario I presented. *Guy with a
gun ready to die, and scared people with guns shooting back - some
might hit the gunman and some will hit other people.

R-

I believe your "innocent bystanders hit by random shots from armed
citizens " is a near zero probability event.

If such a thing happened, it would have be reported in the news over &
over again.

What clearly goes unreported by the mainstream media is the numerous
cases where someone with a gun prevents a crime or possible death by
merely pulling out their own gun. A robber breaks into a
home, the homeowner produces a gun, and the robber retreats. Or a
guy tries to hold up a liquor store with a gun or a knife and the
owner
shoots him dead. Those stories never make it, while the story of
one
nut who shoots someone, usually with an illegal gun, does.

As for the ridiculous claim that running away is more likely to keep
you
alive, if that's the case, why don't they train police to defend
themselves
that way? If the suspect pulls a gun, run! In some circumstances
that
might be the best course of action. But clearly it doesn't work very
well
in all cases, as the AZ shooting clearly shows.

In the AZ shooting, if one person there had a pistol, the outcome
could
have been much different. Or the recent FL school board shootings,
where the shooter held the entire school board hostage. If one
person
sitting at the school board had a pistol, they wouldn't have had to
sit
there, waiting for him to shoot them at will.