Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default TVs compatible, from one continent to the next??

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 22:57:53 -0500, Michael A. Terrell wrote:

Sjouke Burry wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
William Sommerwerck wrote:
I doubt that any American member of this group has adjusted the
Hue control on their NTSC set for at least 30 years.
True. US receivers use the VIR (Vertical Interval Reference) on
line 20 for chroma phase correction to automagically correct both
static and differential phase errors. I think this started in
about 1980.
??? How can the reference signal correct a differential phase error?

PLL circuits allowed the signals to remain in sync.

** So ****ing what ?????????????????? NTSC color started in the
USA in the early 1950s.
The famous irreverent NTSC acronym way predates 1980. You stupid,
****ing ****head.
The point being that the problems with NTSC had nothing to do with
the design of the system, but the failure of the networks to
establish high standards of image and signal quality. As these were
gradually put into place, the supposed "inherent problems" with NTSC
gradually disappeared. This WAS NOT due to the use of VIR on
consumer receivers. VIR was primarily to catch and correct problems
along the signal chain.

The lie that PAL is somehow inherently superior to NTSC refuses to
die. NTSC is the "better" system. Period.

NTSC--Never The Same Color?????????
People with green faces, and mangenta sky's? Any time we saw a news
item with a bit of American tv in it, it looked like ****.

So it's our fault that your network wasn't capable of doing proper
video conversion? Did you ever stop to think that they just didn't give
a damn, and making it look bad made their other crap look better?

How did this devolve into a PAL/NTSC ****ing match? From what little TV I
watch in the evening, HD channels on TWC, I think the color rendering is
perfect. And NTSC DVD video is the same. So what's the problem here? A
lack of real things to argue about?