Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TVs compatible, from one continent to the next??

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article , Michael
A. Terrell wrote:
Want to bet? What I've seen of PAL on multi standard TVs & VCRs
was a sick joke. A man who owned a bunch of Greek restaurants in
lake County, Fl. imported the pair, and his relatives sent him a
steady stream of PAL tapes. They all looked like ****. They were
commercial tapes, not recorded OTA.

You judge a system off domestic tapes? I've also no idea of the
technical standards of such Greek produced stuff. Did you do the same
with UK or German?

The tapes were fropm all over Europe.

Don't care where they were from - you can't judge any system using
domestic tapes of those days. I'm beginning to wonder about your personal
standards if you think you can.

Yawn. More America bashing. Commercially produced European tapes on
European VCR & TV.

The BBC did extensive testing before introducing colour. In the first
instance with NTSC RCA cameras. Huge things with 3" IO tubes. Had a
modification of NTSC to say 625 50 Hz been the way forward, they'd not
have adopted (and been part of the design) of PAL.

Image Orthicons? That figures.

Just when do you think colour cameras stopped using them? The plumbicon
wasn't invented until '60.

I have no idea when the BBC quit using them, but Image Orthicons were
short lived in the US. The RCA TK-44 was a vidicon color camera. The
TK 46 was the same camera, but using Plumbicons. Image Orthicons
required a lot more light, and didn't provide as clean of an image as
the Vidicons. A Plumbicon is a Vidicon with a lead oxide faceplate.

Teflon coated.