Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_37_] Bill[_37_] is offline

Default Designing

tiredofspam wrote:
Maybe some interest....
http://www.outbackpatio.com/infoteak...furniture.html see where it
says teak doesn't float and has to be hauled by elephant because it
can't be floated.

Now other sites say it can be floated based on specific gravity.
I'll let you decide.

Naval ships are made out of steel, no? So there is more to the matter
than the specific gravity of a substance. Unless it's your elephant, why
do you care?

Bill

On 1/11/2011 12:54 PM, tiredofspam wrote:
I used to be a software developer, I am still in the business but in a
diff position.

I believe in software that planning for the problems is the key goal.
Too often I see idiot programmers doing the job, but not handling the
errors properly coming up with useless buggy code that is not
sustainable.

I take the same approach with woodworking. I look for my problems.
Then plan around it.

The design is the easy part, answering the hicups is the other.
Such hickups are making sure the order is correct. Somethings need to be
cut before shaping, others are opposite. Somethings will intefere with
another feature.. I look for these after the initial idea and refine.

I can keep a very simple sketch.. but I keep a detailed list of the
steps that I see me falling over. To make sure I don't fall over them.

On 1/11/2011 11:31 AM, Bill wrote:

I know there are quite a few software people here. Even if you're not
one of them, I hope you'll still get involved in this thread!
In software engineering, we learn to put a lot of effort into design
(and the more of it we do, the better we appreciate that approach, I
think).

Question: Assuming you a a hobby-ist and not someone running a small
business, do you spend a large percentage of your time in woodworking in
designing your projects? Do you think of designing as "part of the work"
or "part of the fun"?

I don't really want to interject my own answer here, but I rather enjoy
drawing things out with SketchUp (and I feel confident the quality of my
woodworking will be the better for it). In my teenage years, the last
time I had the resources to work with wood, I would get to the cutting
in minutes--in fact, I probably often started by looking at the
woodpile...lol. Feel free to put your own spin on the question.

Bill