Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon[_6_] Leon[_6_] is offline

Default Designing

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
Do you think of designing as "part of the
work" or "part of the fun"?

.....I probably often started by looking at the
woodpile...lol. Feel free to put your own spin on the question.

Bill

Inspiration comes from many places. Often I see something I want to
reproduce. Often a glance at the wood pile inspires and I do a quick
sketch and start cutting. Often I take weeks (or more) doing
variations of a design to get it just right.

One note, is anything on paper does not convey scale and 5 minutes
slicing cardboard to mock up the actual size of something can be very
instructive. I designed a plant stand that once instantiated in wood
was too big to even be sold as a lecturn.

As an FYI, I often find myself usingthe Agile method (which we use in
SW design in my real job) on my wood projects where design refines
over time during creation.

For the sake of insuring that what ever I build will fit, I quite often
draw the room with its contents and add the project drawing to see how the
project is going to fit in. Through that approach out the window if you
ever move. ;~(