Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default How do you fix a bulged gun barrel?

On Jan 10, 4:54*pm, "
wrote:
I have different barrels with different problems.

Shotguns, pistols, revolvers, and rifles.

Do you make die by making a hole in a block with a boring bar, heat up
the barrel and pound it through?

I've seen some old books recommending various fixes for bulged shotgun
barrels, I wouldn't do any of them except shortening. If it's near
the muzzle, you can always shorten it unless it's below the legal
limit. Anything else you should probably replace if it's bad enough
or just keep using it if it's accurate enough after removing the stuck
bullet. There's no way to reduce a bulge in a centerfire arm short of
replacing the barrel or cutting out the bulge. You can shorten a
revolver barrel, usually, semi-autos are easy enough to find
replacement barrels for. Bolt actions are easy enough to rebarrel.

Best advice is to pay attention to the gun when shooting, if you shoot
and something feels/sounds/smells odd or not normal, STOP. I had a
blooper once while hunting, had a second round all chambered and ready
to pull the trigger on a rabbit. Something told me not to, went back
to the truck and poked a rod down the barrel. I retrieved the whole
front section of the first shotshell, it had separated right ahead of
the brass head and gone about half-way down the barrel. A second shot
probably would have removed my fingers. I caught up with the rabbit
afterwards. No blooper that time...

A bulge means the metal is stressed beyond the elastic limit, even if
you manage to pound it back down, it'll be a weak spot.

If you stick a bullet, use a brass or bronze rod that fits the bore to
push it out. I've seen folks recommending dowels to do the job, those
will shatter and wedge the works even tighter, DAMHIK. Steel is
likely to gouge the bore unless really closely fitted and polished,
anything really undersized, ditto. Aluminum may work, may also bend
if it's the usual hardware store bubblegum extrusion. A series of
stuck bullets will usually have to be either drilled or drilled and
pulled, usual method is a steel tube to line the barrel and then a
close-fitting drill with extension brazed on, if needed. Pounding on
jacketed bullets will just wedge them tighter. Best thing is to drill
and then use a ball-puller.

Stan