Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Speed of Processor

Bob Eager wrote:
On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 09:17:13 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Tue, 11 Jan 2011 08:32:30 -0000, Midge wrote:

I dare say there will be some die-hards who reckon such a machine is
still useable,

snip
I've just chucked out an 800Mhz PIII from the Win 98SE era for a
friend,

Very much stil useable. That is what my server is. It does the job
without fuss and being a PIII only has a large slow fan in the PSU so is
pretty damn quiet. Runs SME Server, a very stable and reliable "out of
the box" linux based server/firewall/gateway solution.

What made me upgrade was the terrible power consumption. My firewall was
using 60-70W, and it's on 24/7. A faster CPU and I'm now using 15W..total.

Ditto for my headless server.