Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
the_constructor[_2_] the_constructor[_2_] is offline

Default OT Speed of Processor

"Midge" wrote in message
I dare say there will be some die-hards who reckon such a machine is still
useable, but you tend to find anything that has 98 on it originally will
really struggle these days as it will be more than 10 years old. Anyone who
had beefed a machine of that era up would have upgraded it to XP too if
they had any sense, so chances are yours is standard.

Its not just CPUs that have moved on, its the entire machine architecture
(memory, disks, USB interfaces, CD/DVD drives, graphics etc.) - and this
is reflected in the minimum system requirements for any software you want
to run these days.

I've just chucked out an 800Mhz PIII from the Win 98SE era for a friend,
(couldn't even give it away though I did manage to flog the XP upgrade
pack it had). If your machine had 98 on originally (as opposed to 98 SE)
it could even be a PII.

Support for Win 98 was dropped by Microsoft back in 2006 so most new
software releases and products don't support it either. Newer USB devices
will be a pain too as they won't bother to write drivers for 98SE.

If you do keep it for any reason, throwing some extra s/h RAM at it will
help it the most for just a few quid.

PS - I'm not against old machines. I still run a 3.2G P4 with 2G of memory
on XP, but even this setup is starting to show its age as software tends
to get more obese over time.

Midge.

I don't mind that it is an old machine, 286, 386 or 486 would have suited me
better for Ham Radio programming of Philips and Motorola radios as a slow
machine is required.

I have just done a search for the motherboard and come up with this:

http://active-hardware.com/english/r...d/ga-6wmm7.htm

Jim