Posted to alt.home.repair
DD_BobK DD_BobK is offline

Default Foundation Issues

On Jan 10, 9:14*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
*Jeff Thies wrote:

IMHO, leveling the kitchen is most important. I leveled mine (29 house)
with some jacking but also with some shims and underlayment. It took a
while but I didn't crack the walls.

* *Jeff

I'm curious about this, because I have a rental house that's sagging a
bit in one corner. I've heard that jacking it slowly is the way to go.
What does slowly mean? 1/4" per month? I can see the wood adjusting
itself over time, but what happens to pipes?

I assume the pipes were in place when the house was new (& level).
So jacking back up up wouldn't hurt?

I would be worried about any cast iron drain lines going from floor
framing into the earth.

I heard or read "slowly means" like 1/8" per day but a 1/4" per week
or month seems reasonable as well.