Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_10_] Steve B[_10_] is offline

Default O.T. The sick gun culture.

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...
Tony Hwang wrote:

Hi,
Your idea of self defense? Self defense = Carrying fire arm?
Were you in the service? How well did you do in the firing range?

Carrying a firearm is near the bottom of the list. I'd rank the defenses
as:

* Avoiding dangerous situations and locations
* Leave any situation that develops
* Try to de-escalate the confrontation
* Carry a firearm
* Display the firearm
* Shoot the goblin if unlawful force is threatened.

Collecting on your fire insurance is to be avoided, but it's more than
welcome if all upstream avoidances fail.

"How well did you do?" is part of that last resort. I suspect that in most
states (Texas and Tennessee to name two) a legally-blind person can
qualify for a concealed handgun permit. It's really not too difficult to
hit a man-sized target from 21 feet away. Heck, you've got as many as 15
chances to do so... If, during the melee, a baby, a holy father, two
granny-ladies, and the last living Australian Walking Parrot get popped,
well, that's a shame.

Displaying a firearm and not using it can be considered as "brandishing a
firearm" in many states.

Scenario: Bad guys want to rob you. You "display" firearm and they
retreat. They go to police officer and state that you waved a gun at them.
One lies and the other swears to it. You get arrested and lose your permit.

You never pull a gun unless you shoot it.

Steve