Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Gun lobby always wins

On 1/10/2011 7:44 PM, David Nebenzahl wrote:
On 1/10/2011 3:48 PM mike spake thus:

On Jan 10, 2:47 pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

It's so pitifully obvious that the "men" who need lethal weapons

Legitimate defense can be not only a right but a grave duty for one
who is responsible for the lives of others.

I'm responsible not only defending my own life, but also the life of
my family. I cannot do that with a pointy stick.

I'm sure as you write that you feel all noble and manly and stuff, but
to me it just makes you sound like a caveman.

What are the police, chopped liver?

Anywhere between 5 and 20 minutes away around here. Of course, in this
township, there are only about 20 of them, 6 or so per shift. And they
are also the firemen, so if a barn is burning down, or the weather is
bad and there are several car wrecks, well, they will be by in the
morning to fill out the paperwork.

Disclaimer- I'm no gun nut. But 60-odd years ago, my family had to move
halfway around the world because the general population where they lived
didn't have guns. Discretion being the better part of valor, I picked a
low-crime area to move to (versus the apartments I used to live in), and
I avoid the parts of town where packing a gun 'proves' manhood. I hope I
never have any reason to use a gun against a living creature, even some
criminal scum. But I will not be prey for harvesting.

BTW, in comment on a previous post, look up the US Code definition of
'militia'. It doesn't mean the national guard. It means all able-bodied
adults. Originally just the males, but now females are included as well.
In the context of that now-obscure definition, and the similarly old
definition of 'well regulated', the 2nd makes perfect sense as written.

--
aem sends...