Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms
nick markowitz[_2_] nick markowitz[_2_] is offline

Default Automatic fire sprinklers

On Jan 10, 2:41*pm, Evan wrote:
On Jan 10, 1:10*pm, "

wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 06:23:30 -0800 (PST), jamesgangnc
wrote:

On Jan 10, 8:25*am, "Techvoid" wrote:
"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message

*are now required in new Pennsylvania homes:
http://tinyurl.com/323syvr

good idea?

It's not as expensive as it used to be. *There is a cpvc pipe that can
be used for sprinklers. *I don't think it's actually different, I
think they just made it orange. *But I'm not sure. *I got 8 sprinkler
heads to put in the garage I'm building out at our lake house. *Picked
them up on ebay for about $5 apiece. *Idea came to me after some of
our friends almost burned down their house with a garage fire.
Happened while they were at home and they didn't know it until the
neighbor called them. *By then flames were rolling up the outside
wall. *$100k+ in damages and it barely got out of the garage into the
living space above before the fire dept put it out.

I think you could do a whole house for a couple hundred in materials.
Not sure how much additional plumber labor but I would think you could
keep it under a grand total. *My grandparents house in missisppi built
in the 1920's had sprinklers located in on the ceiling in front of
each fireplace hearth. *Since there was a fireplace in every room it
amounted to a whole house sprinkler system.

Sounds like just more pipes to burst, particularly in a second home. *More
nannyism for the government. *

LOL... *Sounds like you think you are in an area where public safety
budgets have not been cut yet... *It is either raise tax rates even
more
or start cutting even on the essential services like police and
fire...

If it takes more than 5 minutes for the fire department to respond to
your structure after calling 911, then a properly designed sprinkler
system will save lives as well as prevent serious damage to your
building...

Now realize that you might not become aware of a fire in your home
if it is on another floor or in an isolated room like a garage or
basement
until it flashes over... *If you are *just* calling the fire
department at
that point you will have a $100k loss to deal with...

If you are concerned about the water freezing in your sprinkler system
there are dry sprinkler systems which keep the water out of the piping
until a head pops and the air pressure is released opening the wet
valve and allowing water to flow to the sprinkler heads...

Such systems are installed everywhere in commercial buildings where
there is a large enough overhang or covered exterior area close to the
building which requires protection because of its use or its location
on
an egress path which must be protected...

~~ Evan

Unfortunately dry systems can be a pain in the ass to maintain they
have drum drips which must be emptied at least monthly or you risk
them freezing as well.
pcv does not sweat as much but the drums must be kept empty to prevent
problems.