Posted to alt.home.repair
TWayne TWayne is offline

Default Burnt electrical outlet and plug

In ,
RBM typed:
"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
m...

wrote in message
We recently had one burnt electrical outlet at our
office. The appliance plug is also burnt as well. All the
outlets at our office is rated at 20Amps and have fuse
protection. The fuse did not trip. Anyone has a clue why
the outlet and the plug are burnt? I am planning to just
replace the burnt outlets and the appliance plug, but I
really prefer to know what caused the burning in the
first place. Here are 2 photos showing the plug and the outlet:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54230006@N07/5341105173/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/54230006@N07/5341718398/

Thanks

Without having a beter look , I would say that in the plug
where the wire is connected to the prong, there is a loose
or high resistance connection. You usually get heat build up at the bad
connections. If
the plug can be taken apart, see if the connection is
loose. Unless there is some reason the whole prong is not
making connection all over the plug and socket, there
probably was nothing wrong with the socket except the plug
overheated and caused the burnt spots on the socket.

Thats sounds like a good explanation to me. I would also
question the draw of the appliance. It burned two
receptacles and it's not a factory plug. There is a good
possibility that it should be a 20 amp plug and not 15 as
shown

The wire and connectors must be capable of carrying 80% of the load of
everything on that ckt breaker. Since it's a 15A plug/receptacle and one
piece of equipment is 30A I'd have to surmise they're using a time-delay
breaker for one, that lets them slip by without popping the brkr, but : It
is NOT to code! OSHA would have a field day with it, too. As would NFPA. I'd
be interested also in what gage wire is being used to the box and to the
other components drawing current?
Sounds like a pretty dangerous place to work to me.

HTH,

Twayne`