Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Repairing scratched eyeglasses

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 05:42:45 -0500, "JoeSpareBedroom"
wrote:

"benick" wrote in message
"benick" wrote in message
. ..
My glasses are scratched up and was wondering if anyone has used the
stuff that is advertised to fix them..I don't have the 300-400 to replace
them at this time..Anyone tried it ???Did it work ??

Thanks for all the tips but they aren't that bad so I guess I'll live with
it for now..The glasses are about 5 years old and I don't have the script
as
they were made right at the eye doctors..They are invisaline bifocals..I
got
them right after I had cataract surjury on my right eye...The left one
needs
it now so I need to go back anyway...Probably do it in the spring...Again
thanks everyone...

I suppose you could stop scratching them, and start cleaning them correctly.
I'll never understand why people will usually take good care of camera
lenses, but they'll abuse their eyeglasses, which often cost more than a
camera.

You have some cheap-assed camera!

People don't take the same care of them because they're used more often and
get forgotten.

Right way to clean eyeglasses: Plenty of warm water, and a cotton ball with
a drop or two of dishwashing liquid or plain liquid hand soap (not one which
contains skin conditioner). Dry with a wipe made for camera lenses.

It's not the cleaning that scratches mine. It's that 15' fall to the rocks
below that does it every time. Of course the trip through the laundry didn't
help the other pair.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...o_Wipes.h tml

If you keep these wipes clean and uncontaminated by debris, they're reusable
for eyeglasses.

Overkill. All you need is a soft cloth. I generally use micro-fiber cloths
from the dollar store.