Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.security.alarms

Default Automatic fire sprinklers

On Jan 10, 8:25*am, "Techvoid" wrote:
"Dean Hoffman" wrote in message

*are now required in new Pennsylvania homes:
http://tinyurl.com/323syvr

good idea?

It's not as expensive as it used to be. There is a cpvc pipe that can
be used for sprinklers. I don't think it's actually different, I
think they just made it orange. But I'm not sure. I got 8 sprinkler
heads to put in the garage I'm building out at our lake house. Picked
them up on ebay for about $5 apiece. Idea came to me after some of
our friends almost burned down their house with a garage fire.
Happened while they were at home and they didn't know it until the
neighbor called them. By then flames were rolling up the outside
wall. $100k+ in damages and it barely got out of the garage into the
living space above before the fire dept put it out.

I think you could do a whole house for a couple hundred in materials.
Not sure how much additional plumber labor but I would think you could
keep it under a grand total. My grandparents house in missisppi built
in the 1920's had sprinklers located in on the ceiling in front of
each fireplace hearth. Since there was a fireplace in every room it
amounted to a whole house sprinkler system.