Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Dave is offline

Default oil/grease on washing from the washing machine

On 03/01/2011 19:36, chudford wrote:
On Jan 3, 6:27 pm, Bob wrote:
On Mon, 03 Jan 2011 17:51:08 +0000, Dave wrote:
As title. My wife has just told me that some clothes have come out of
the washing machine with what looks a thick black substance on it. The
spots are one the corner of a pillow protector and her Scout shirt. I
have not yet tested for a suitable solvent, but I would like your
comments about what is the source.

I'd put my money on a failed seal on the drum bearing...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

With our machine it was a build up of black sludge in the door seal.
Stretch out the seal and you will probably find it.
I think it is due to the new low temperature detergents which do not
clean the machine unlike the old 60deg ones.

Went to the local repair anything shop this morning and he suggested it
was a dirty washing machine, as we wash almost anything on the lowest
temperatures. I'm half way through a cleaning procedure at the moment.
Second half will be tomorrow. He did say that it was very unlikely to be
a bearing leak though, as the water is trying to get out of the bearing
in the opposite direction.

Dave